The most ancient documents concerning San Severo date back to 1116. A century later the Emperor Federico II ordered the construction of the "palatium Bello Videre apud Sanctum Severum" and soon after because of a rebellion in 1230 he ordered the destruction of the town walls that corresponded to the actual "internal circle" and to fill up the ditch. In this way he wanted to punish and mortify the citizens who allied with the Benedictine Fathers against him. Furthermore the Emperor entrusted San Severo to the Templars.
It is likely that this period coincides with the first cultivation of the White Bombino vine, the basic D.O.P. San Severo vine, which was brought over by the Templars coming back from the Holy Land. <
After the terrible earthquake in 1627 the town map changed and, especially in the eighteenth century, many baroque buildings and churches were built; today they represent the main attraction of the city of San Severo.
The Cooperative Society of San Severo was born in 1933. In that year 30 wine growers created one of the most ancient cellars in Apulia. The L'Antica Cantina wines are produced by Sociale San Severo.